- 1 Box of Cake Mix (I used Chocolate Duncan Hines) **Most Duncan Hines cake mixes are dairy free**
- 1 Container of Frosting (I used Chocolate Duncan Hines) **Most Duncan Hines frosting is dairy free**
- 28 oz. Baker's Chocolate Baking Squares
- Vegetable Oil
- Prepare cake according to directions on box, including baking the cake.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, dump it in a power mixer bowl, along with the entire container of frosting.
- Mix the cake and frosting until they are completely blended.
- Form small balls (I used a melon baller), and place on wax paper in the freezer.
- Melt Baker's chocolate.
- Dip cake balls in chocolate and refrigerate until serving.
They were amazing! Perfect amount of chocolate! My only complaint was that they took a long time to make (just forming the balls took forever!), and I was a little messy with the melted chocolate. My husband thought they tasted similar to fudge. He suggested adding peanut butter next time. I also think they'd be really good with different cake flavors such as lemon or strawberry.
Adding some vegetable oil to the chocolate as it is melting thins the chocolate, making it easier (and neater) to dip the cake balls in. The finished product has a slightly thinner chocolate coating, but they aren't messy, use less baker's chocolate, and are quicker!