Serves: About 6 Dozen
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 4 candy canes
- Pre-heat oven to 375°.
- Mix eggs and vanilla in a small bowl. Beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer. Beat until smooth. Add egg mixture and blend until incorporated. Add the flours and blend on low until a dough is formed.
- Divide the dough in half. Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and put half of the dough on it. Using a floured hand, shape the dough into a 9" long roll. Cover with the wax paper and chill for a minimum of 45 minutes (the longer the better), or until dough is firm. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Slice dough into 1/4" thick pieces. Bake for approximately 14 minutes. Cool on a rack.
- Melt the chocolate chips. Crush the candy canes by placing in a Ziploc bag and lightly hitting with a rolling pin. Spread the melted chocolate over the top of the cookie and sprinkle a small amount of crushed peppermint on top.
**I really liked these cookies, but the cookie part was a little bland. Next time I'll try adding some kind of artificial flavoring. The combination of melted chocolate and peppermint is delicious though!