- 5 cups sliced apples or peaches
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon (nutmeg for peaches, cinnamon for apples)
- 1/4 cup unsalted margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts or coconut (optional)
- Apple Crisp: combine white sugar and cinnamon (in addition to the sugar and cinnamon listed above) with the sliced apples. Stir frequently, and let them sit until a syrup has formed. Don't do this if you're using peaches.
- Place fruit in a large casserole pan (I usually use a 9x13 pan). Spread evenly.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, except for the margarine. Cut in butter until the mixture is crumbly (I've found that using your hands is the easiest way to do this... just be sure to wash your hands thoroughly before).
- Sprinkle the dry topping over the fruit.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes. We serve warm with vanilla frozen yogurt.