Thursday, May 10, 2012

Quick Homemade Applesauce

My mom usually makes a batch of homemade applesauce every fall. It takes almost all day to cook, but was always so worth it. Today I had some pork chops I needed to use, but I hate to have pork chops without applesauce. And I had no car for the day. And only an hour until dinner. I found this recipe online and thought it was a pretty good quick substitute for my mom's recipe!

Ingredients:
  ~ 5 peeled, cored, and quartered apples (The website said to use good cooking apples... I just used what I happened to have in my fridge.. 2 Golden Delicious and 3 Gala) *If possible, use different varieties of apples. My mom swears that it makes it taste better than when it is made with only one type of apple*
  ~ 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
  ~ sprinkling of cinnamon (depending on how much you like. I like a lot)
  ~ 1/4 cup brown sugar
  ~ up to 1/4 cup white sugar (I used a full 1/4 cup. This depends on how sweet you like your applesauce)
  ~ 3/4 cup water
  ~ 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1.  Put all ingredients in a large sauce pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes (I used a full cup of water and it was too much. After 20-30 minutes my apples were still hard. I then turned it back up to boiling for another 10 minutes or so).

2.  Remove from heat. Mash with a potato masher (if you like chunky applesauce. For smoother applesauce, try putting in a food processor).

3.  Serve either hot or refrigerated (I've eaten it both ways.. warm for dinner, cold for breakfast). According to the original recipe, it also freezes well, for up to a year~





Source: simplyrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment