I made this the week after Easter, to use up the rest of the leftover ham. The dairy version apparently tasted amazing. The dairy free version was ok. Edible but nothing over the top.
~ 3 tablespoons Fleishmann's unsalted margarine
~ 2 tablespoons flour
~ 1 1/2 cups almond or soy milk
~ salt and pepper
~ 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
~ 12 ounces 1/4 inch sliced baked ham
~ 1 cup thawed frozen broccoli (I put it in the microwave for approximately 30 seconds to thaw it)
~ 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°.
2. Butter a baking dish. In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted margarine over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for approximately 1 minute.
3. Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in milk. Return the pan to heat and bring to a simmer while still constantly stirring.
4. When the sauce has thickened, remove from heat and add salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. Spread 1/3 of the sauce over the bottom of the baking pan (I split mine in half, between two pans). Top with half of the potatoes. On top of the potatoes, add the ham, broccoli, and cheese. Add another 1/3 of the sauce and repeat until you run out of sauce, potatoes, ham and broccoli.
6. Top off with cheese, if desired, and bake for approximately 45 minutes.