Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hot Dog and Potato Skillet Dinner

Sometimes I make things up. Especially when I didn't have time to get to the grocery store all week and the only form of meat we have in the house is a bag of hot dogs in the freezer and three cans of tuna fish. It's summertime, so my husband would have been perfectly content having hot dogs on the grill and some macaroni salad, but frankly, it's only the beginning of June and I'm already getting sick of that. After a very intensive search of "hot dog recipes", I finally came across one that didn't seem entirely gross. And I could make it happen (somewhat) with the few things I had on hand. I did make a couple changes though. Here's the original recipe from Betty Crocker. As strange as it looked (and as strange as the ingredients sound), it was incredibly easy and pretty yummy.

Serves: 2

Ingredients:
~ One can of sliced potatoes (healthy, I know.. but I didn't have any "real" potatoes)
~ 1/2 cup soy milk
~ 2-3 tablespoons of flour
~ Salt
~ Frozen green peas
~ 3 hot dogs (uncooked, but not frozen)

Directions:
1. In a large skillet, combine can of potatoes, soy milk, salt (as little or as much as you'd like. I don't like a lot.) and flour. Stir until the potatoes are completely coated and the flour is completely combined (not clumpy).

2. Add the peas (again... as many or as few as you'd like. Here I like a lot.) and stir until they are separated from each other and coated in the "cream" sauce.

3. Allow it to simmer on medium heat for a couple minutes.

4. Slice the hot dogs into 1/4" slices. Add to the skillet.

5. Stir until everything is coated by the sauce.

6. Serve. (and field questions from your husband about what this weird dinner you're serving him is).

No comments:

Post a Comment